Friday, September 10, 2010

yeah me!

can you go three steps forward and then four steps back? I have a heavy feeling today. I did talk about my feelings..after some prodding, but still feeling heavy. how do I tell my own child that the rules that he and I have established are only for my two kids and not his? this is what I mean..and please comment if you think I am crazy, overreacting, etc. the house rule is that beds are made in the morning. it is something I tried to enforce prior in my life but never got results. in my "new" life, I have been firmer...beds will be made. part is the principle of the thing and part is if the bed is made, the entire room looks better. some nights, there are four kids here, ranging in age from 6 to 12. today I got this question from one of my children: "how come the rule is to make beds but _____ and _____ don't have to make theirs? their dad does it for them. we don't ask you to make ours!"

how am I to respond to that? the rule is made for the household...yet two of the four kids don't do it, their parent does it for them. are they exempt from the rule? his oldest is only nine months younger than my youngest. not much age difference there. why the modification of rules? what would you tell your child, how do you answer this?

if we truly want a cohesive home, how can a simple rule like making beds in the morning be different for two of the kids?

does anyone have an answer? ... the blending of families, I am learning, is a tricky piece of work.

and I win the Mean Mom Award already today. I won it before 8 AM.

yeah me!

No comments: